Wednesday 12 February 2014

Coincidental places. When the small things become significant.

Well, my retail job is my new metaphysical arena for spiritual matters. The ripples I am able to offer, now start from within the sock and underwear department. 

Clutching at straws to find coincidences/any form of meaning within the environment? Of course. Is that going to put me off? Definitely not.

There I was, minding my own business. Dressed from head to foot in black, a sombre reminder of my subserviant position within the hierarchy of retail. My name badge, polished to within an inch of its life. My black shoes, present and correct, my hair tied up and out of reach of some invisible threat which shall not be named, no nail polish, no make up to speak of, there I am, filling fixtures and fittings with rows of thermal long johns. As I stand there, not thinking of anything at all, really, honestly, not having anything on my mind apart from whether I should mess about with the display and a customer comes and stands alongside me. 

She is about my age and she is wondering whether we have any XS black longjohns for her son. She says 

'He is going to Berlin next weekend and apparently it is cold'.

 'Oh, Berlin' I say, jogged back to the present moment, ears pricking up and suddenly the moment has become more interesting for me. I explained 

'My son has just spent a weekend in Berlin, on a 21st birthday celebration weekend, and yes, he said there is snow on the ground'

the customer tells me her son is 13, we measure up a S black longjohn against her height and decide they will be small enough. The customer tells me her son is going to stay with her sister, so at least she hasn't got to worry about him being fed. I tell her my son spent a weekend eating Frankfurthers and Dunkin' Do-nuts. She find this most amusing. 

This, blogger, this is my new form of treating my personal interactions as precious. The link with a stranger and yet we have coincidental places in common.

Lots of love and light to everyone who needs it.

Tamasin x

No comments:

Post a Comment