Thursday 4 July 2013

Do you know of a Grammar School around here?

I was thinking to myself this morning, and you can trust me when I tell you this dear reader, 'I haven't been asked for directions lately'. 

What have I been doing lately?  Well, I have been looking into learning to teach English as a Foreign Language. I haven't had a lot of success. I am not exactly being faced with doors flinging themselves open. In fact, my efforts at digging around for information haven't really come up with any gold nuggets, not even so much as a Hansel and Gretel crumb actually.

So, I was pleased when a lady who didn't have a brilliant grasp on the English language stopped me in my tracks to ask for directions.  There I was, stomping along in the sun, although the clouds were gathering, it was lovely and warm and we have been promised by the weathermen that summer has arrived. Stomping, my friends, in time to Abba on my ipod.  

She waved me down. This foreigner in a strange land. The London Road. The busiest road of all for traffic and people busy going somewhere else. 

'Errr'  She had to think about what she needed to say.

I took my ipod out 'Alright there?' I asked cheerfully, and quite friendly, I thought.

'Do you know of a Grammar School around here?' she said

Do I know of a Grammar School. Well, if you count the seven years that my son spent attending the one at the bottom of the road, then, yes, I know of a Grammar School.  I pointed her in the direction she needed to go and confirmed it was a left, followed by a trip down one further road.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  

It has been so long since I have been asked for Directions I forgot to make conversation as to her reasons for wanting the destination. I also should have told her my son went there, to make the connection for her more meaningful. But, I am still learning Blogger. Plus I was in an Abba induced world of my own.  

I promise to try and make the next request for directions more meaningful for the person doing the asking.

Lots of love and light to everyone who needs it.

Tamasin x

No comments:

Post a Comment