Sunday 20 January 2013

Coincidental names....making my world go round.

Starting a new job brings many new challenges, not least of which meeting new people, learning all about them, finding out what you have in common, where you disagree and just generally fitting in with a new crowd of people.  This week I have had so many little social interactions that I have forgotten most of them.

My new job is working in the PDSA retail shop.  A shop which is run mainly by volunteers and survives on donations from the general public.  This week I was getting to know some volunteers and one lady told me the story of how she got chatting to a woman at a bus stop, only to discover the woman was the mother of her son's girlfriend.  It really is a small world.  It reminded me of the time I had a similar experience with a friend of mine who met her son's girlfriend's mum by chance as we were sitting in a cafe having a tea and a conversation about accents led them to discover that the woman who worked in the cafe had a daughter called Molly and my friend's son also had a girlfriend called Molly.  Of course, it was the same Molly. Yes, it really is a small world.  

So, having a little muse about how people meet and the connections we make with each other on a daily basis, I was going about my business of answering the back door at work.  I was also wondering at how people manage to bother to donate their stuff in the snow.  It was really cold.  I stood shivering at the back door of the shop, waiting for a man to unload a people carrier full of donated bric a brac and a Lloyd Loom chair.  As his little dog was hanging her head out of the car I stepped out onto the snow covered pavement and had a little chat with her owner.  Turns out, she was a rescue dog from Battersea Dogs Home.  Another little dog in the car was also on the Paul O'Grady rescue programme at Christmas. His name was Bentley.  I cannot think of a less-Bentley like creature.  Half Lurcher, Half Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  He actually looked more like Gizmo the Gremlin than any sort of dog I am familiar with.  Still, I now have a For Sale label on the Lloyd Loom chair with a tenuous claim to fame (which I am certain pushes the value of the chair up, however slightly).  

Yes, I love these little stories, they warm my heart and make my work worthwhile.  I also love the fact that the little dog hanging out of the people carrier was called Molly.  

Lots of love and light to everyone who needs it.

Tamasin x

No comments:

Post a Comment