Sunday 16 September 2012

Graduation...being in the right seat at the right time

Graduation Day with my teenager.  No, not his Graduation, my Graduation. Bachelor of Science Open (Open)... An Open Degree with the Open University. A choice of subjects that I felt I could handle. Social Sciences (for two years); Creative Writing (because I couldn't face three years of Social Sciences); Psychology (because I had three years of Counselling background and a good grounding in psychological theories); followed by a final Level Three Course in Children's Literature (because...how hard could it be?)... Quite hard as it turns out.  Still, I finished the course. I clung to the reins of a horse that had no idea where it was going. I jumped hurdles, swerved obstacles and completed the course. Overtaken by fellow horse riders on many occasion, until I saw the home straight. If I had known how hard this particular set of challenges were going to be, I probably wouldn't have taken it on. A perfect example of ignorance being blissful. Yes, the annual excitement of beginning a new course. The anticipation of enjoying a new learning experience. Tempered with the challenge of producing pieces of work every six weeks (roughly), of a standard high enough to be considered worthy of a good mark by the Open University tutors.  Well, I did that. For five years. Whilst my teenager was gaining A*and A grades in his GCSEs, I was studying social science, when he began his AS levels I was messing about with Creative Writing, his A Level exam year saw me travel to London to sit an exam in Psychology.  Seeing my teenager achieve his goal of getting to a University of his choice by attaining A* and A grades was one of the most satisfying years on this little educational journey. Seeing my son head off to Southampton to study Maths with Economics left me learning all about Children's Literature. A giant 'Charlie' shaped hole in my world was filled with an Open University degree course.  The year came and went, Charlie passed his first year of Uni with flying colours and I received an invitation to my own Graduation. Off we went, my teenager and I to London, 2012, a good year for London, the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, the Para Olympics, my Graduation.....we arrived in good time, I registered my arrival, collected my Certificate and two tickets to the ceremony. One for moi, one for Charlie.  Now, I have done my best to educate myself, I have. No-one could accuse me of trying to remain ignorant. But there are some things which are learnt through experience and breeding, you know, like opening doors for people or how to queue. Some things are 'picked up' along the way. Things like the difference between 'Circle' or 'Stalls'.  Yes, you guessed it, I took the 'circle' ticket and gave Charlie the 'stalls' ticket.  Charlie took my handbag for safekeeping and we both headed to our respective seats. Twenty minutes early.It was just me, sitting in the Gods in full gown regalia, until a few more people came in, none of whom were wearing  Graduation Gowns. But, this is normal for the Open University, not everyone goes to the expense of hiring a gown. It wasn't until I started wondering about my route to the stage that it dawned on me. I was sitting in the wrong seat!  I rushed out of the Auditorium like a cricket with a fly to catch...or whatever it is they eat...in time to get a text from Charlie ...'meet me outside...'...yes, he had sat with the Graduates, disguised by virtue of his youth and smart suit, not all the OU Graduates were wearing gowns!   It was a true Del Boy moment, which I am pretty sure I enjoyed more than my teenager! When I finally found my seat I was happy to note that amongst a hundred graduates, seated according to subject and then Alphabetically, I found myself in seat M46.  M for McGregor, my surname and 46 being the age I turned a couple of weeks ago.

Lots of love and light to everyone who needs it.


Tamasin F. McGregor BSc Open (Open)

1 comment:

  1. Haha...a little mixup that put you in the perfect seat for your graduation. Congratulations, Tamasin! That's no small feat.

    ReplyDelete