Sunday 30 September 2012

Have you got a light?

'Have you got a light?'  

Simple enough request.  A smoker, in need of a puff on a fag.  I get it.   Considering how much I love to re-interpret all the events that happen in my little life, I am surprised it has taken me so long to notice this little phrase. 

Twice this week I have been asked for a light. Twice I have dismissed the request.  'No. I don't smoke.  I used to smoke but I gave it up'.  When people ask me for a light, I bore them with the story of how I gave up.  Yes, this is how I see a request for a lighter.  An opportunity to tell smokers that giving up is the way forward.  I provide a role model for them. If I can do it, they can do it. Obviously I don't say this to anyone who needs a cigarette, I just share my personal experience with them.

But wait, also this month I have come across disposable lighters on my path, disposed off, discarded, dropped because they are no longer working. 

'Have you got a light?'  .....do you know what.  I have got a light.  It doesn't involve any flammable materials or burning tobacco. No, the light I have comes from within.  Of course.  A reminder to shine my own light, be the beacon of difference you want to be in the world. 

Next time someone asks me if I have a light I am going to have to reply 'only from within'.  It will be interesting to see what happens! 

Lots of love and light to everyone who needs it.

Tamasin x

No comments:

Post a Comment