Thursday 23 September 2010

The homeless woman feeding a squirrel.

Currently living a life of a single parent in need of some extra finance, a job, a car, a secure home.. oh well, can't have everything!  A lot of time when you are unemployed is spent walking, walking between tasks. Whether it is shopping for food or clothes or cleaning materials, whatever the chore is will invariably lead to a little walk.


I have been spectacularly fortunate this week to secure a part-time job which will be keeping me busy between the hours of 2 and 6pm every day of the week.  Doubtless this will also lead to less time for blogging...but I not really sure anyone reads this stuff anyway!


In the meantime, back to the appearance of animals in my little world.  A lot of people don't notice when they see a homeless woman feeding a squirrel. I notice.  Not just because I have nothing better to do, but because I am in the right place at the right time to witness an act of compassion from a woman who I know is wearing her worldly goods and yet still has something to give to a creature apparently more in need than she.  


As I am a person who likes to uncover, or attribute, a deeper meaning to all scenarios I am fortunate to come across, as I took a picture of the homeless woman hovering in the middle of the road and tossing some form of food to a squirrel, all I was thinking was 'what is the message from spirit in that picture?'. 


 I have a son who I see as the squirrel and he is being fed by a virtually homeless woman -  (renting being such an insecure habitat, I could imagine myself to be the homeless woman).  But I realise on the little walk home, that no, this was not a symbolic act that I have witnessed, it is a reminder that no matter how little you have, there is always someone or something worse off. 


 I am also humbled by this homeless lady's capacity for generosity.


Sending love and light on this harvest full moon with the weather set to change for the worse to a woman who has the human capacity for kindness even when faced with horrendous adversity herself. x

No comments:

Post a Comment